So I have just started this new book, I don't know what it is going to be called yet, but in it there is an old man who tells a story to a little girl when she is afraid of a storm, and I thought I would share it with you. It is called The Sky's Song. :)
“Let me tell you a story,”
he began, “There once was a little girl who had nothing. She lived
in a cardboard box, she had no parents, no friends, no food, nothing.
But she was always happy, because she loved to sing.” He smiled,
she was no longer clutching his arm, her hand was just resting on it,
she was not paying attention to the storm anymore, only to his story.
“One day she saw a bird sitting on a tree branch, but it was not
singing. She frowned, birds are supposed to sing. She scolded it,
'Bad bird! You are sitting there enjoying yourself, when you owe the
world a favour!' 'What is that?' the bird asked. 'It is your duty to
sing. You have a voice, so use it! What are you doing just sitting
there?' 'Everything has a voice, why do I have to sing?' The bird
asked. 'Because your voice is beautiful.' She said. 'So are the
others,' the bird replied, 'but it is because my voice is different
that they don't sing. They are taught to think that their voices are
not as good as mine, so they never sing. I think that is more a crime
than me not singing.' 'You are right,' the girl said, 'I never
thought of it that way. Why, everyone should sing!' The bird
smiled, 'Yes, everyone should. But first we must get rid of the
notion that they can't, because if they go on thinking their voices
are inferior to mine, they will let me and never try it themselves.'
The girl did not reply, she was too busy thinking of a way to get
them to sing. 'I've got it!' She exclaimed, and hurried off to try
out her idea. She ran to a field full of flowers and sat down. She
waited. And waited. And waited some more, but not once did they sing.
She looked at them with tears in her eyes, 'You wretched flowers! I
came all the way here by myself on foot and you did not welcome me. I
shall tell my friends never to come here.' She stood up, and heard a
faint voice, on of the daisies calling out, 'Wait! How should we
welcome you? All we can do is sit here and wait to be picked!' 'That
is very wrong of you to say that!' She scolded, 'You could sing for
me.' 'We can't sing,' another one said. 'That is wrong, I have heard
you. You have beautiful voices.' 'Really?' One of them asked.
'Honest!' She said, then she waited again. Presently she heard a
humming noise, thousands of daises all singing in chorus, just a
slight whistle, she had to strain to hear it, but they were. She
clapped, 'Lovely! You should always welcome people to this field by
singing, it is the most wonderful sound.' She then went to a stray
cat in the alley, then the dogs in the neighbourhood, she spent her
whole day spreading joy and singing to everyone who would listen.
When the sun began to set, singing a happy tune, she sat down, Now,
is there anyone I have missed? 'Well done,' she heard someone
say. 'I can almost sing again.' 'Why don't you?' She asked the bird.
'Because,' he said, 'Everyone is singing but the sky.' She felt
raindrops on her head, 'See, he is crying because he is left out. He
still believes he does not have a good voice.' She grinned, and then
looked up to the darkening sky, 'Naughty sky,' she whispered, 'Why
are you not welcoming me?' It began to pour, her grin widened because
she knew it was tears of happiness. Then she heard a sound she had
never heard before, thunder. The sky's song. It was so happy to be
singing it flashed, and this was called lightning. She loved all of
the songs of the day, but the one she loved the most was the Song of
the Sky. The bird began to whistle and fly away. The End."
What do you think? :)
No comments:
Post a Comment