A few days ago I attended an amazing funeral.
I haven't been to many funerals, and all of the ones I have been to were Christian funerals, so I can't say much about the comparison, but I can tell you what I found outstanding about it.
I didn't know the man very well, I had only met him in person once I think, maybe twice, but I knew just from the brief moments that I talked with him that he was a very godly man.
When I had just become a Christian I decided that I didn't want to call myself a Christian. I didn't want to tell anyone, I wanted them to figure it out for themselves. I wanted the way I acted, the way I spoke, even just the general way I portrayed myself to be all about Jesus. I thought that if I was a Christian, then I had Jesus in me, right? People say that the eyes are the windows to your soul, so if Jesus is in me, they should be able to see Jesus in my eyes.
This man had Jesus in his eyes. :)
The thing that amazed me about his funeral was that he planned it, and it portrayed what he loved most.
Jesus Christ.
And it was evident.
Right on the front of the program, (picked by himself) was 1 Samuel 2:30, Those who honor Me I will honor.
The verse was proven correct. There were tons of people there, all of them there because in some way or other, he had affected their lives and they wanted to honor him. He was honored by the number of people that were there, by the things that were said about him, by the tears shed for him, and by being taken to a place reserved for the people that Jesus loves. More than we can imagine God has honored him. All because he honored God in his life, and that was what he wanted to show. He wanted to tell people that if you honor God, God will honor you.
I love how even though the event was about him, he still pointed everything back to Christ.
Even though I knew him but for a short time, and I don't know that he
even knew my name, I count in as a blessing to have met him. He was a
great man, and a great example.
I realized as I stood and sang one of the hymns that this is what I wanted my funeral to be like. I don't want it to be about me. I want people to see that I loved God, and I want people to see how great He is.
I want my funeral to be celebration, because God has at last taken me to a place that I don't deserve to go to, because He loved me.
I want to leave behind the kind of legacy that this man left behind, and inspire other people, like he inspired me, to live so much for Christ that even their death can bring Him glory.
No comments:
Post a Comment