He asked other questions past that I think, but I confess I stopped paying attention. My mind stayed on the name that Jacob was given, Israel.
"What does Israel mean?"
One of the kids had answered, and they were right, "Wrestles with God." "Contends with God."
Before that night, I had always thought of the meaning of Israel in light of the story found in Genesis 32, but all of a sudden it occurred to me that long after Jacob died, his children continued to be called by that name. They became a nation that was known as "Wrestles with God."
It's very appropriate, for that they did.
All throughout the old testament, you see them submit to God, then rebel, then suffer, then submit. (then rebel, then suffer, then submit, rebel, suffer...) They were constantly wrestling with God.
But here is the coolest part.
When Jesus made the final sacrifice, and fulfilled the law, they didn't stop being Israel.
Not only that, but Jesus didn't open the door for everyone to simply be followers of God, He opened the door for everyone to be a part of Israel.
Israel didn't get to be free from being called "Wrestles with God," we got to start being called that!
I feel almost like it is a reassurance to us now, that way back when God named Jacob Israel, He knew we would wrestle with Him. He knew that the ones He would save would fight Him, but He still chose to do it.
Today, as I was thinking about this, I happened upon a verse in the Psalms, which was so cool in light of all of this.
What does He call them?
"All of His faithful servants, of Israel, the people close to His heart."
No comments:
Post a Comment