Search This Blog

Saturday, January 21, 2017

What is Truth?

My church's Young Adults Group has just started doing the Truth Project.

I'm not going to talk about the series, as we are only one video in, but I want to talk about something that was brought up last week, which has been on my heart for a while.

What has happened to simplicity?

I know that God is vast and beyond our comprehension. He is intelligent and creative and thus, there are endless opportunities for the mind to explore in His creation, and even just in His character.

I love this. I am the kind of person who likes mysteries and enjoys puzzles. I have grown up listening to my dad talk theology, and learning how to debate.

But one thing that my mother has modeled for me over the years is how simple faith really is.

Looking at her and the family she grew up in sometimes makes me wish for a simpler faith. One that prays for income, works, and thanks God for the increase. 

Again, I love the complex side of God, but I have started to think that just maybe, in our day and age, we have overcomplicated things.

The reason I bring this up is because our pastor's wife asked at the meeting last week, "What is truth?"

The question was to get us to think, and that it did, but I confess my first thought and feeling was to be very frustrated that we must ask that question at all.

The theory of relativism, of "Your truth, my truth, his truth," is an idea that is very widely accepted in the secular world.

I did GAP last year, (the Genocide Awareness Project, a week of pro life activism) and talked to a TON of university students who held this worldview.

What concerned me the most was when some of them identified themselves as Christians.

I can understand unbelievers holding that. The argument doesn't hold up well, but I understand why they can think that.

Christians CANNOT.

Here we go again, overcomplicating things. As a Christian, you must believe what the bible says. What does the bible say about truth?

Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth. (John 17:17)

For we can do nothing against the truth, but for the truth. (II Corinthians 13:8)

God's word is truth. What He has said, what He has made, what He has put into order. That's not up for debate. We can't even do anything against truth, because if we do something, it becomes a part of what God has already set in place. You tripped? You laughed? That's true. Nothing you say or do will ever change that truth.

Truth is simple. We do ourselves a disservice if we make it anything but.

And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” (John 8:32)

Where is the freedom in relative truth? You can never know, you can never be sure. The very ground you stand on may dissolve beneath you because you can't trust the truth that it will last.

Truth is a gift, and we get to have it.

Have I not written to you excellent things Of counsels and knowledge, That I may make you know the certainty of the words of truth, That you may answer words of truth To those who send to you? (Proverbs 22:20, 21)

If there was no truth, you could never learn it, it would be like a bird constantly flying just out of your reach.

Truth is lasting. Jesus is "the way, the truth, and the life." What does this even mean if the truth is negotiable?

For the Lord is good; His mercy is everlasting, And His truth endures to all generations. (Psalms 100:5)

To answer the question....truth is what we thought it was before we started talking about relativity.

These days, I think a five year old child would be better at answering that question than a 25 year old.

We urge children to "tell the truth," yet that can be argued in university.

Why do we argue? Why did we lose the simplicity in the first place? I think because we know if we must conform to the truth, we must change the way we are.

We have turned "every one to his own way." We are not creatures of truth, we sin, and we know that if we face the One who knows the truth, He will see the lies we have told others and ourselves to justify the breaking of His law.

But somehow, God intended to keep us WITHOUT ignoring the truth about us.

This verse expresses it beautifully.

Show us Your mercy, Lord, And grant us Your salvation. I will hear what God the Lord will speak, For He will speak peace To His people and to His saints; But let them not turn back to folly. Surely His salvation is near to those who fear Him, That glory may dwell in our land. Mercy and truth have met together; Righteousness and peace have kissed. (Psalms 85:7-10)

No comments:

Post a Comment