Back to the streets today.
I'm frequently rattled when people are antagonistic toward me during pro-life activism. It's par for the course, but it still makes me shake.
I'm rattled, but like the shakiness, the memory quickly fades.
Every once in a while though, someone says something that has so much weight to it, their words stick in my mind. One such incident happened today.
I can clearly see his face in my mind's eye, and hear his voice as he said, "You want to reduce our society to holding *** pictures at the corner of the road. You should be ashamed of yourselves."
All I could think in that moment was of pictures like these:
When these photos began to circulate and be used as evidence of the horrific racial injustice that was going on in the 1950's and 60's, I'm sure many people would have echoed the sentiment:
"You want to reduce our society to holding *** pictures at the corner of the road. You should be ashamed of yourselves."
Turns out, the ones who are ashamed are the children of people who thought like that.



No comments:
Post a Comment