The sound of two two-year old singing London Bridges at the top of their lungs in a tune which, (if it could be called a tune) was certainly not London Bridges, threatened to drown out the words I was reading in my book.
Abruptly, Emily interrupted the song and announced, "Now let's pray."
There was silence behind my chair for a moment before she began to say, "Thank you for my God. Thank you for my Jesus. Please help Mama to feel better..." (that part was echoed by Louisa, "Please help Mama to feel better.") "Amen."
I immediately wondered if they understood the power of the words they had just said, or rather, the power of the One they said them to. How much did they understand of what they had just done?
Probably not a lot.
When Jesus calls us to "childlike faith..."
...does He mean the kind of strong, unwavering faith we think of when we think of a child's dependency, or does He perhaps just mean that we come with what we know?
My dad has used this analogy before, that a newborn does not think about trusting his parents. He doesn't consciously depend on them, he just does what he knows, which, at that point in his life, is very little.
Emily and Louisa did what they knew. Does God require more from them?
I can pray for a lot longer than they did. I know a lot of things that God hates that I can pray against, I know a lot of people that God loves who I can pray for, I am aware of a lot of blessings I can thank Him for, but did He want that from my nieces?
Or was He happy with the three things they said? "Thank you for my God. Thank you for my Jesus. Please help Mama to feel better. Amen."
That was what they understood, and that is what they came with.
I confess that sometimes I hesitate to come to Jesus because I feel my lack. My lack of knowledge, lack of love, lack of _____. (you fill in the blank)
It's true that I am lacking, and there is more He wants me to know. He has promised to teach me...
...but before He teaches me, I must come to Him to listen. I must come with what I know, and though it is not perfect faith, He is pleased with it.
Another thing that struck me about Emily's prayer was that she made everything hers.
God wasn't just God, He was "My God."
Jesus wasn't just Jesus, He was "My Jesus."
Is that part of what it means to have childlike faith? Her faith said, "I know this, therefore it's mine."
I can do that too! I know Jesus, therefore He's mine.
I know that God made a way for salvation, therefore it's mine.
No comments:
Post a Comment