Search This Blog

Thursday, March 30, 2017

How Sickness Brought Me Back to the Basics

The stomach flu hit our house for the first time this week in a LONG time.

First the youngest, second my sister and brother in-law's whole family minus one, (them and two little kids) then the second youngest, then me, then my older sister, then my dad.

As I write this I am reflecting on the nightI got it, when I started to throw up at 2:00 AM.

I prayed a lot. It was all pretty repetitive, "Dear Jesus, please help." 
I don't even know what I was exactly asking for, because I wasn't expecting Him to take away the sickness.

Just strength, I guess.

My head hit the pillow when I got back from the bathroom, the only thought in my mind was gratefulness.

Not gratefulness that He had made it easier, cause He hadn't. Not gratefulness that I had been given strength, cause I felt really weak. Just gratefulness that He was there.

I could tell He was there, suffering with me in my suffering, being a reassuring presence.

I didn't articulate any thoughts in that moment, but the best way to express what I felt is in the quote by John Newton, "I remember two things very clearly. I am a great sinner and Christ is a great savior."

Grace has been a continuous word in my head.

Christ is full of grace.

Maybe I'm simple-minded or silly because I'm sick. But simple, old Christian phrases sound so wonderful to me right now.

Amazing grace, how sweet the sound.

God is love.

Jesus came to save the lost.

I'm all warm and fuzzy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment